Welcome to CalConnect
Welcome to CalConnectSM, The Calendaring and Scheduling Consortium.
You don't need to be a member of CalConnect to implement a standard. You need to be a member of CalConnect to influence a standard.
We are a non-profit partnership between vendors of calendaring and scheduling systems and tools, and users of those tools. Our purpose is to improve all aspects of calendaring and scheduling, in particular interoperability. We do this by improving existing standards, developing new standards, offering interoperability testing for calendaring and scheduling systems and tools, collaborating with other organizations with similar goals, and conducting periodic conferences where engineers and customers meet and interact in a collegial atmosphere. Although CalConnect is not a standards development organization, virtually every important calendaring or calendaring-related standard over the last five years has been authored, edited and/or coedited by members of a CalConnect Technical Committee.
We invite you to learn more about CalConnect, and we hope you will become a participating member. If you have any questions, please use the contact form, or e-mail us directly at email@example.com.
Special Notice! Our next event, CalConnect XXXII, will be CalConnect's Tenth Anniversary!
We invite those active in Calendaring & Scheduling, or with a strong interest in this and related fields, to join us in celebrating our Tenth Anniversary in San Jose, California on Wednesday, January 28th, 2015 for lunch, the afternoon events, and an evening reception. Please see Tenth Anniversary Celebration for more information.
Each CalConnect Event consists of an Interoperability Test Event and a CalConnect Conference
- CalConnect XXXII – CalConnect's Tenth Anniversary – January 26-30, 2015,
hosted by Kerio Technologies, San Jose, California
- CalConnect XXXIII – May 18-22, 2015, hosted by 1and1, Bucharest, Romania
- CalConnect XXXIV – September/October 2015, hosted by Gershon Janssen, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- CalConnect XXXI – January/February 2016, hosted by AOL, Palo Alto, California
What we are working on now – major projects underway in CalConnect Technical Committees – become a member and help make these things happen
- Abstract Calendaring API - We need a full "CRUD" (Create/Read/Update/Delete) Abstract Application Programming Interface and Calendaring Architecture for Calendaring and Scheduling
- Autodiscovery - One-stop setup for devices and new service providers for calendaring, e-mail, etc. based on internet standard protocols
- CalDAV Alarms - Extend alarm support to allow for cross-device dismissal, proximity triggers based on location, default alarms in CalDAV
- CalDAV Attachments - Extends the calendaring server to manage attachments
- Calendars and Contacts Sharing - Sharing calendars and contacts between users across systems
- CalWS-REST and CalWS-SOAP - We need to (finally) provide platform and system-independent calendaring and scheduling operations APIs for web services - it's long past time
- Consensus Scheduling (VPOLL) - TimeTrade, Doodle, WhenisGood do it, it should be interoperable - scheduling driven by the attendees who get to vote on the best times and locations for group events
- Event Publishing Extensions - Calendaring standards need to support the rich environment of Web 2.0 (and beyond) for the publication of public events - rich text, participants and image support
- iSCHEDULE - We need server to server scheduling between dissimilar systems - we have had client to server scheduling for a long time
- Non-Gregorian Calendars - Establish a way for recurrences to work with non-Gregorian calendar systems, in particular lunar/solar calendars
- OASIS WS-Calendar - Working with OASIS to develop their new WS-Calendar standard (scheduling for the Smart Grid), based on xCal, CalWS-REST and CalWS-SOAP
- PUSH for CalCAV (and CardDAV) - Extend CalDAV and CardDAV with standardized support for PUSH notifications
- Tasks (VTODOs) - Extend the functionality of VTODOs to support needs such as project management, smart power grids and business task scheduling.
- Timezone service and registry - Full timezone support via dynamic server calls rather than embedding timezone information in events - no more having event times wrong when timezones change and your software isn't updated
- VAVAILABILITY - New iCalendar component to describe availability, to 'condition' freebusy lookup and scheduling (e.g. you may be 'free' at 3 a.m. but you aren't available for a meeting)
- vCard Resources - Define the vCard representation of calendaring resources to ease the discovery and scheduling of resources between any calendar client and server.
More information about current work
- 16-Dec-2014 FastMail joins CalConnect:
CalConnect welcomes FastMail as a member of the consortium.
- 10-Oct-2014 Mike Douglass fifth recipient of CalConnect Distinguished Service Award:
CalConnect is proud to announce that Mike Douglass of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute is the fifth recipient of the CalConnect Distinguished Service Award.
- 18-Sep-2014 SmoothSync joins CalConnect:
CalConnect welcomes SmoothSync as a member of the consortium.
- 11-Sep-2014 IETF Working Groups Established to progress CalConnect drafts: The IETF has created
two new Working Groups, TZDIST and CALEXT, to continue the progression towards standards status of internet drafts originated by CalConnect. TZDIST is concerned with the Timezone Service Protocol (now the Time Zone Distribution Service) and a related draft; CALEXT with the RSCALE, VAVAILABILITY, and iCalendar Extensions drafts. The charters may be found at https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/charter/ and https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/calext/charter/.
- 10-Sep-2014 CalConnect 7 Things Briefing Documents: About a year ago CalConnect published the first of its "7 Things You Should Know About" documents (the topic was Consensus Scheduling). We now have five documents published,and plan to create one for each new Technical Committee when it is approved. See 7 Things You Should Know About... for a list of currently-published documents.
- 26-Aug-2014 Burbio Joins CalConnect:
CalConnect welcomes Burbio as a member of the consortium.
- 17-Jun-2014 1&1 Internet AG Joins CalConnect:
CalConnect welcomes 1&1 as a member of the consortium.
- 10-Jun-2014 MedRed LLC Joins CalConnect:
CalConnect welcomes MedRed LLC as a member of the consortium.
- 22-May-2014 Mimi Mugler fourth recipient of CalConnect Distinguished Service Award:
CalConnect is proud to announce that Mimi Mugler of the University of California, Berkeley, is the fourth recipient of the
CalConnect Distinguished Service Award.
- 19-Mar-2014 TC API established: CalConnect has established TC API to develop a calendaring architecture and abstract API.
- 07 Feb-2014 CalConnect Terminology Changes: CalConnect has retired the name "Roundtable" as used for its thrice-yearly conference and
members' meeting and will use the term "CalConnect Conference" or "Conference" going forward. The term "Ad Hoc" to describe a short-term exploratory committee has been retired, and will be replaced by "Provisional Committee".
- 14-Jan-2014 Milton.io Joins CalConnect:
CalConnect welcomes Milton.io as a member of the consortium.
See Previous Highlights